Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Canada Blooms




Working at the Canadian Peony Society booth at Canada Blooms is alot of fun. I met many people with many questions and of course the ooohs and aaaahs of "Oh aren't they just a beautiful flower!"
Part of volunteering also means you get to meet some members for the first time or re-acquaint yourself with members you haven't seen since the last show. This year there was a Peony Nursery, newly starting up, from New Jersey selling roots in the Marketplace. The shock was that they were selling many roots and telling people that they needed to be planted now. (I don't know about you but I still have frost in the ground) The best time to plant these bare-rooted plants is in the fall.

A first time question for me from a visitor was that she had a grafted tree peony and she believed that the root was now growing from the grafted part. "What should I do with the tree?" "Should I leave it?" "Cut out the grafted part?" What do you think? Well I thought about it for a minute and told her that she had two options. #1 is to cut the grafted root everytime it pops out of the soil and it will eventually die or #2 dig up the root and check to see if the tree has grown its own root system if it has remove the grafted root.

Tomorrow I am at the Successful Gardening Show in Malton.

No comments: